04 October 2007

Coco Mademoiselle - Chanel

I've read so much about Coco Mademoiselle lately, what with the new Keira Knightly commercial (which I love, by the way). I haven't had the best luck with Chanel perfumes, save No. 19 which I wear and love. I used to wear Allure, but burnt out on it. Plus, a woman in my old office used to wear it and left a trail everywhere she went, so I started associating it with her.

Anyway, Coco. I smelled a tester strip in a magazine last week and was pleasantly surprised-- enough to ask for a sample at Nordstrom. They made me a rollerball sample (a nice way to get a feel for a scent-- more perfume came out than from a pilot vial) and I tried it tonight. (I'm not sure if they made me the eau de toilette or eau de parfum; I'm guessing the edt.)

I wouldn't say it was a complete disappointment; Coco Mademoiselle has many redeeming qualities, they're just not all that apparent on me. What I like: the patchouli, surprisingly. It's a weighty contrast to the floral, grapefruity overtones. It's reminicent of Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf, which I like-- lots of clean patchouli and vanilla. What I don't like: its strength! This perfume is big! In my face! Giant! And very commercial. I feel like I've smelled this on every gum-snapping blonde out there. It's pretty, but fairly one-dimensional on me. It hits my nose with a thud. I can't take it seriously; all I can smell is an expensive version of a cheap perfume. Nearly headache-inducing. It's one of those scents that would smell great on someone else.

That being said, there's something about it I like..! I think it's because it's unlike anything I have. It's a big, fresh, fruity floral with patchouli-- three strikes in my book, but intriguing and different once in a while.

No comments: