17 November 2007

Samples again

Iles d'Or de Molinard is very, very vanilla, with bits of coconut and tropical fruits. It's nice and warm. Verveine de Molinard, on the other hand, is minty crisp, opening with astringent lemon and fresh verbena. Nice, but a little too minty for my tastes.

L'Artisan Verte Violette is very pretty, if a little ... watery. I can't place it; it's certainly smells like violets and greens but there is something aquatic-smelling to me. Is it the heliotrope? I'm not sure. I'm working from a tiny sample; this one might need a full spray to determine if I should invest.

I was surprised to like Piment Brulent by L'Artisan; anything with fire and peppers in its name certainly sounds more like a taco sauce than a perfume. It definitely smells like peppers, but it also has an unexpected freshness and zip to it. Again, it's definitely worth a spritz.

Finally, Sabi by Henry Dunay was recommended to me by Tracy at The Perfume House because of its violet notes (I'm a big violet fan)- while I can appreciate its prettiness, it quickly turned to dryer sheets on my skin. Comfortingly clean, but too laundry for me. Nieman Marcus lists the notes as "a blend of 250 oils, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang and exotic spices." It's worth checking out if you're looking for something unique.

No comments: